- Provide the daily basics: food, clothing, shelter, as well as the love, stability, guidance and structure that all children need.
- Are people who are genuinely concerned about the wellbeing of children and parents.
- Are people who believe that children are worthy of their best efforts every day.
- Are supportive of reunification with the child's family.
- Do all these things knowing that the child(ren) may only be with them for a short time.
- Are acutely aware of the crisis, stresses, and social problems resulting from the abuse and neglect of children.
- May have children living at home, have raised their own children to adulthood, or are without children.
- Decide if a placement is appropriate for their family.