Skip to main content Skip to footer

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Federal Benefits

The Beltrami County Veterans Service Office offers support to veterans and their families by helping them access various federally provided benefits through the VA. Here is a list of some of the benefits you might be eligible for.

For more details or to make a request regarding your Military Discharge, please review the Military Discharge Record information.

If you served in the active armed or uniform services and are separated under any condition other than dishonorable, you may qualify for VA health care benefits. Current and former members of the Reserves or National Guard who were called to active duty (other than for training only) by a federal order and completed the full period for which they were called or ordered to active duty also may be eligible for VA health care.

VA disability compensation (pay) offers a monthly tax-free payment to Veterans who got sick or injured while serving in the military or uniform services and to Veterans whose service made an existing condition worse. You may qualify for VA disability benefits for physical conditions (like a chronic illness or injury) and mental health conditions (like PTSD) that developed before, during, or after service. Find out how to apply for and manage the Veterans disability benefits you've earned.

The PACT Act is perhaps the largest health care and benefit expansion in VA history. The full name of the law is The Sergeant First Class (SFC) Heath Robinson Honoring our Promise to Address Comprehensive Toxics (PACT) Act.

The PACT Act will bring these changes:

  • Expands and extends eligibility for VA health care for Veterans with toxic exposures and Veterans of the Vietnam, Gulf War, and post-9/11 eras
  • Adds 20+ more presumptive conditions for burn pits, Agent Orange, and other toxic exposures
  • Adds more presumptive-exposure locations for Agent Orange and radiation
  • Requires VA to provide a toxic exposure screening to every Veteran enrolled in VA health care
  • Helps us improve research, staff education, and treatment related to toxic exposures

If you’re a Veteran or survivor, you can file claims now to apply for PACT Act-related benefits.

The Veterans Pension program provides monthly payments to wartime Veterans who meet certain age or disability requirements, and who have income and net worth within certain limits. Find out if you’re eligible for this benefit.

A VA Survivors Pension offers monthly payments to qualified surviving spouses and unmarried dependent children of wartime Veterans who meet certain income and net worth limits set by Congress. Find out if you qualify and how to apply.

If you’re the surviving spouse, child, or parent of a service member who died in the line of duty, or the survivor of a Veteran who died from a service-related injury or illness, you may be able to get a tax-free monetary benefit called VA Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (VA DIC). Find out if you can get VA benefits or compensation.

Eligibility for Burial in a VA National Cemetery:

Veterans, active-duty service members, and certain eligible family members may qualify for interment in a VA national cemetery. Determine whether you, or someone for whom you are arranging a burial, meet the criteria for this privilege.

Burial Allowance:

Understanding the process for obtaining Veterans burial allowances, also referred to as "Veterans death benefits," to assist with covering expenses related to burial, funeral, and transportation.

Veterans Headstones, Markers, and Medallions:

Find out how to apply for a headstone, grave or niche marker, or medallion to honor a Veteran, service member, or eligible family member.

Eligibility for Burial Flag and Presidential Memorial Certificate.

VA education benefits help Veterans, service members, and their qualified family members with needs like paying college tuition, finding the right school or training program, and getting career counseling. Learn how to apply for and manage the Education and Training Benefits you’ve earned.

Eligibility for (VR&E) program: Veteran Readiness and Employment

If you’re a service member or Veteran and have a disability that was caused—or made worse—by your active-duty service and that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, you may be able to get employment support or services to help you live as independently as possible.

Eligibility for (DEA) program: Survivors' and Dependents' Education Assistance

If you’re the child or spouse of a Veteran or service member who has died, is captured or missing, or has disabilities, you may be able to get help paying for school or job training through the DEA program—also called Chapter 35. Find out if you’re eligible for this benefit.

Are you the spouse or surviving spouse of—or a child of—a Veteran with disabilities or a Veteran who has died? If you don’t qualify for TRICARE (the Department of Defense’s health care program for active-duty and retired service members and their families), you may be able to get health insurance through (CHAMPVA). Through this program, we cover the cost of some of your health care services and supplies. This is called cost sharing. Find out if you qualify for CHAMPVA and how to apply.

Download the CHAMPVA Program Guide (PDF) 

Eligibility for TRICARE, the military health care program, is contingent on factors such as military service status, active duty or reserve status, and specific beneficiary categories. Eligibility criteria may vary depending on the specific TRICARE plan being considered.

For more information about TRICARE Eligibility click here.

The Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) is a government agency within the United States Department of Defense (DoD). Its primary mission is to provide financial services and support to the Department of Defense and related entities. DFAS is headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana.

DFAS plays a crucial role in managing the financial aspects of the military, including payroll and disbursing services for active-duty and reserve members, retirees, and annuitants. The agency also handles various financial transactions, such as accounting, budgeting, and financial reporting, to ensure that the financial resources of the DoD are effectively managed and allocated.

Contact Us

Veterans Services 
616 America Ave. NW Ste 140
Bemidji, MN 56601

Phone: 218-333-4192

By appointment only

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.