Community groups, churches, individuals or businesses adopt a highway by picking up litter on both sides of the highway for at least two years.
An Application form must be filled out by the organization or individual wanting to adopt a section of highway. The group leader should drop off the application at the Beltrami County Highway Department and verify that the section of highway is available or adoptable.
The group leader is responsible for reviewing the Terms and Conditions with all participants.
The Volunteer Sign in Sheet must be signed by each volunteer participant in the cleanup. All participants under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian signature. The group leader is responsible for keeping the original copy of all Sign in Sheets and a copy must be mailed to the Beltrami County Highway Department at the address shown on the Form. Please make sure to list any hazardous material and its location on this form.
Adopt a highway Groups Agree To:
- Adopt a highway for a minimum of two years
- Select a segment of highway approximately two miles in length
- Pick up litter on both sides of a Highway
- Pick up litter as often as it needs it, spring through fall, usually two-three times a year. The spring pickup should be done in April or May before the grass grows
- Notify Beltrami County after every pickup. Have your Adopt-A-Highway number when you call
Beltrami County Will:
- Provide safety vest, trash bags and safety information
- Remove filled bags from the roadsides, remove large, heavy or hazardous items
- Erect a 3’x 5’ highway sign to recognize your group’s commitment. The sign legend is the name of your group only, not its message. It is limited to two lines of 16-18 characters, including spaces and punctuation.