Skip to main content Skip to footer

Beltrami County Environmental Services

Short-Term Rentals

The Beltrami County Short-Term Rental Ordinance # 49 establishes a permitting program for the review and appeal of short-term rental unit operations covering most Beltrami County townships. Operation of a short-term rental in Beltrami County requires a Short Term Rental Permit issued by the Environmental Services department, and a license issued by the Minnesota Department of Health.

It is the objective of this ordinance to establish and enforce standards for the permitting of short-term rentals that strike a balance between:

  • Protecting homeowners’ private property rights,
  • Enhancing localized economic activity and tourism,
  • Preserving the residential integrity of neighborhoods,
  • Mitigating possible adverse impacts to water and environmental quality, and
  • Promoting and protecting the health, safety, and wellness of the citizens and patrons of short-term rentals.

Some townships and cities administer their own zoning ordinances and have their own standards. As of July 1, 2022, these are the cities and townships we are aware of that have additional requirements;

• City of Bemidji – contact the City of Bemidji
• Northern Township – contact Northern Township
• Ten Lake, Sugar Bush, and Frohn Townships – not allowed by the Township
• Turtle River Township - ordinance does not allow short-term rentals in non-shoreland areas
• Bemidji Township – requires a separate Residential Rental Agreement and Permit

Please contact your Township or City to determine if they have additional/different requirements.

To assist you in applying for a Beltrami County Short-Term Rental permit, please follow the order of steps listed below:

  1. Contact Beltrami County Environmental Services to receive a Zoning Contingency Letter.  This letter lets all agencies know that you will be allowed to operate a short-term rental in Beltrami County, once all paperwork is completed.
  2. Contact the Minnesota Department of Health to obtain a Lodging License.
  3. Bring a copy of your MDH Lodging License, all supporting documents, and your completed Beltrami County Short-Term Permit Application back to Environmental Services for processing.

Minnesota Department of Health
Lodging Licenses
705 5th Street NW, Suite A
Bemidji, MN  56601

MDH Contacts:

Dave Kaufman (218)308-2113
Bemidji, Cass Lake, Wilton, and Pennington STR physical addresses

Cassandra Hua (218)308-2142
All other STR addresses in Beltrami County

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.