Financial & Medical Assistance

Food Support

This program provides help to purchase food products. The program issues electronic food support benefits that can be spent like cash in most food stores.

The amount of food support you receive is dependent upon your income and household expenses. You may be able to get food support within 24 hours if you meet expedited criteria. For more information see the State of Minnesota Website. You must complete a Combined Application Form in our office or onlne at MN Benefits.

Use the Eligibility Screening Tool provided by Bridge to Benefits to see if you or someone else may be eligible for public work support programs. It will ask you a few simple questions but will NOT ask you for information that identifies you. It's easy, confidential and free!

EBT Online

Contact Beltrami County Income Maintenance if you have questions 218-333-8300.

1. How do I use my electronic food support benefits card?
How to Use Your Minnesota EBT Card

2. What do I do if my food support benefits card is lost or stolen?
Call customer service (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) at 1-888-997-2227 to report your card lost or stolen. Effective 9/2012, replacement cards can no longer be obtained directly at the county office and must be mailed. It can take up to 5 business days to receive your replacement card. A $2.00 card replacement fee will be deducted from either your food or cash benefits.

3. Do I have to use all my food support benefits up in the month I receive them?
No; however, if your benefits are not accessed for a long period of time they may be removed from your card. If this happens, call our Call Center at 218-333-8300 for assistance.

4. How long does it take after I apply to know if I qualify?
It depends on your situation. For some emergency situations, benefits can be issued within 5 days. In most situations, the county will notify you by mail of a decision within 30 days.

5. How are food support benefits received?
Food support benefits are distributed through a plastic card that looks like a credit or debit card. It is called an Electronic Benefits or EBT card. Every month, the card is filled up with the money to buy food at places that accept food support, such as grocery stores. The card is swiped and a code number entered (called a PIN or Personal Identification Number). The PIN helps keep benefits safe if the card is ever lost or stolen. The cost of food is subtracted from the amount of money on the card.

6. What foods are eligible for purchase through the Food Support Program?
Food support benefits may be used for foods to eat such as bread and cereal, fruit and vegetables, meat, fish, and poultry, and dairy products; seeds and plants which produce food to eat. Food support benefits may NOT be used for any nonfood items, such as pet food, soap, paper products, and household supplies; beer, wine, cigarettes, or tobacco; vitamins and medicines; food that will be eaten in the store; hot foods.

Public Notice of Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture regulations, Beltrami County is prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.
Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.
To file a complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) online and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call 866-632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:
1.     Mail:      U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue SW
Washington, D.C.  20520-9410
2.     Fax:      202-690-7442; or
3.     Email:<

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.