Financial & Medical Assistance

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I am currently receiving assistance (or I have received assistance in the past 30 days)?

Call the Call Center at 218-333-8300 for information on how to apply or reapply for assistance.

What if I am only applying for health care?

You may complete the entire process by on line. You do not need an interview. . You can obtain an application by coming in, calling or completing the on-line application.

When you contact us for an application, give us the following information: Your name, full postal address and zip code, phone number where you can be reached in case we have questions, the type of assistance you are requesting, and whether you are single or have children under age 21 living with you.

What information will I be asked to provide?

Here is a list of items you may be required to provide before we can determine your eligibility for assistance. If you are unable to get the information, ask your financial worker for help.

Social Security Card Check Stubs Bank Account Statement
Driver's License/Picture ID Tax Forms Certificates
Certified Birth Certificate Court Orders Vehicle Titles or Registrations
Marriage License Benefits Award Notice Life & Medical Insurance
Divorce Decree   Property Tax Statements
Proof of Residence    

What is the County's policy on Data Privacy?

Your right to privacy and your right to review information kept on file about you is protected by state and federal laws. The Minnesota Government Data Practices Act gives you the right to be informed about the information about you, that is kept by us.

Whenever we ask you to give us private or confidential information about yourself, you must be told: 

Use the Eligibility Screening Tool provided by Bridge to Benefits to see if you or someone else may be eligible for public work support programs. It will ask you a few simple questions but will NOT ask you for information that identifies you. It's easy, confidential and free!